Thursday, April 1, 2010

Well Hello,

I am sorry I have not posted in a while, it is mostly due to sickness. On monday morning the manager of Petaluma Bounty farm (a local organic farm that me and my mom volunteer at) asked us to come out to the farm because, they were going to plow the cover crop under and, she wanted us to photograph the event. Unfortunatly it was somewhat rainy and the man with the tractor did not come. So my mom and I wandered around in the cover crop for a while. The cover crop was 7 feet tall at places! Since it was early morning and misting everything was covered in dew. I got plenty of good shots and have posted them here.

On Tuesday, my mom and I got together with a friend of ours for our living arts day which we have been doing for about 6 months now. Living arts is getting together and learning to can, make cheese, garden, ETC. But most of all our friend is an urban homesteader,so she produces most of what she needs at home in her back yard. She has been teaching us to be more sustainable. This week we made out first ever batch of mozzarella! When we were done, we put it on toast with green garlic pesto and sundried tomatoes. Everything except the toast was homemade. IT WAS SOO YUMMY!!!

Well, yesterday I made candles with my mom. We made dipped tapers, tea lights, and 3 molded candles. In the process of this we made a royal waxy mess! While we were making the dipped candles I really got a feel for how much easier electricity is! I mean, they used to only have dipped candles, and each one takes like atleast 1 hour! As I said "it's a pretty process," We used 100% beeswax with a tiny bit of green dye in it. After we did the tapers, we poured all the other candles and made a big mess. After we made candles we made another batch of mozzarella because my grandmother wanted to tase it and, whe was coming over today. there was none of the first batch left because it was sooo good, she loved it! (it WAS delicious).

And last but not least, EASTER IS COMING and hopefully we are going to make ukranian eggs this week! I will post if and when it happens!

-Lily : )

No comments:

Post a Comment